Adaptogens+ hormonal health?
How to look beyond the hype and figure out if these herbal allies can help you
hosted by clinical herbalist & integrative health educator Kay'aleya Hunnybee
Adaptogens + hormonal health?
How to look beyond the hype and figure out
if these herbal allies can help you
Download on Apple | Download on Spotify | Download on Google Podcasts
Unless you’ve been hiding out in the woods with no media over the past decade,
my guess is you’ve heard of adaptogens.
And at some point you may have tried some.
This herbal action has basically reached celebrity status, as far as herbs go. And for good reason.
They support us in states of chronic stress, support our blood sugar regulation, enhance our stamina and some even encourage better sleep.
But contrary to popular belief, adaptogens are NOT right for everyone.
And not all adaptogens are the same.
Understanding the basics behind how they work and which ones might be most appropriate for you (or not) at this time in your life is foundational.
Most of us have no idea when to choose one or another one,
and what affinities certain adaptogens have for different times of life, symptom pictures, or constitutions.
Not to mention which ones might be most helpful for various hormonal imbalances.
So tune into today’s episode to learn all about how adaptogens work and ways they might be able to supportive your individual hormonal health - and why you might want to add some other herbs in to get even better results.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- What adaptogens are and how they work (beyond the hype)
- Why some plants you might think are adaptogens may not be
- When to avoid adaptogens
- Why not all adaptogens are the same and how to determine which is right for you
- How this class of herbs supports your hormonal health (in more ways than one)
- Some examples of my favorite adaptogens and their qualities
- Learn to track your cycle naturally - Step-by-step Cycle Tracking Guide
- Today’s shonotes: Get the references to learn more about adaptogens
- Episode 4: Herbal spotlight on Tulsi / Holy Basil
- Episode 17: How stress messes with your hormones
- Episode 30: 5 herbal keys to hormonal health
- Episode 40: Herbal spotlight on schisandra
- Episode 45: Embodying WInter with Jade Alicandro
- Podcast with David Winston (2018): Latest Update on Adaptogens
Panossian, A. (2017). Understanding adaptogenic activity: Specificity of the pharmacological action of adaptogens and other phytochemicals. Ann NY Acad Sci., 1401(1), 49-64. doi: 10.1111/nyas.13399.
Prasad, S., Tiwari, M., Pandey, A., Shrivastav, T., & Chaube, S. K. (2016). Impact of stress on oocyte quality and reproductive outcome. Journal of biomedical science, 23, 36. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-016-0253-4
Todorova, V., Ivanov, K., Delattre, C., Nalbantova, V., Karcheva-Bahchevanska, D., Ivanova, S. (2021). Plant adaptogens: History and future perspectives. Nutrients, 13(8):2861. doi: 10.3390/nu13082861.
Todorova, V., Ivanov, K., & Ivanova, S. (2021). Comparison between the biological active compounds in plants with adaptogenic properties (Rhaponticum carthamoides, Lepidium meyenii, Eleutherococcus senticosus and Panax ginseng). Plants (Basel, Switzerland), 11(1), 64. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11010064
DISCLAIMER: This podcast is for educational purposes only, I am not providing any medical advice, I am not a medical practitioner, I’m an herbalist and in the US, there is no path to licensure for herbalists, so my role is as an herbal educator. Please do your own research and consult your healthcare provider for any personal health concerns.
Trusted sources for bulk herbs:
- Mountain Rose Herbs (affiliate link) - globally-sourced organic and wild-crafted herbs
- Mountain Rose Herbs (not an affiliate link)
- Pacific Botanicals - California-grown and globally sourced herbs
- Banyan Botanicals - Ayurvedic herbs
REGIONAL, FARM-BASED COMPANIES
- Zack Woods Herb Farm (VT)
- Healing Spirits (NY)
- Sawmill Herb Farm (MA)
- Oshala Farm (OR)
- Meetinghouse Farm (ME)
- Sonoma County Herb Exchange (CA)
Learn to track your cycle and listen to your own body wisdom - Track Your Cycle Simply in 3 Easy Steps Guide (click here)
Sign up to receive regular herbal womb wisdom-filled love notes and podcast updates straight to your email box.
You can always unsubscribe if you're not into it. Your privacy is paramount. I'll never share your info with anyone. Pinky swear.