using the traditional wisdom
of seasonal herbalism
with community + clinical herbalist Jade Alicandro
How do you relate to the winter season?
What are the ways that you naturally support your body through this time of colder, darker days?
These aren't questions we often ask, at least not in the dominant western worldview.
But traditional wisdom from around the world teaches us that winter is a time for quieting down, for reflection, for introspection and for deeply nourishing ourselves.
For supporting our inner resilience.
For cultivating our capacity to withstand stressors.
Which as you might imagine, is especially important for our hormonal health, too.
And today's guest, community herbalist Jade Alicandro, weaves the wisdom of Traditional Chinese Medicine together with her embodied practice of bioregional herbalism to offer simple and accessible steps we can take right now to encourage optimal health this winter and beyond.
Listen to the episode to learn:
- what it means to live a seasonal lifestyle
- some of the basic energetics and elements of each season
- the importance of acknowledging late summer
- how the seasons are reflected in the phases of our wombs
- why winter is connected to the water element
- simple ways we can harness the energy of winter
- foods and herbs that are especially supportive for us in this time
- why astragalus, maitake, and nettles are winter essentials in Jade's kitchen
- a couple culinary herbs to help ease menstrual cramps
- Try Jade's recipe for Fall Kimchi!
- Learn to make herbal bone broth here
- Episode 8: Exploring the cycles of the earth in our bodies
- Episode 17: How stress messes with your hormones
- Episode 20: Earth, Womb + Seed Connection
- Episode 22: Herbal spotlight on nettles
- Episode 41: How nature connection can calm stress + reduce burnout
And if you want to learn more from or work with Jade, check out the links below!
Connect with Jade:
Sign up for her Kitchen Medicine Class (enrolling 11/29-12/13/22): Spice Rack Medicine
Follow her on IG @milkandhoneyherbs
Check out Jade's membership community called Viriditas
Check out her blog here
Explore her website in-person or virtual offerings: Milk and Honey Herbs
DISCLAIMER: This podcast and blog is for educational purposes only, I am not providing any medical advice, I am not a medical practitioner, I’m an herbalist and in the US, there is no path to licensure for herbalists, so my role is as an herbal educator. Please do your own research and consult your healthcare provider for any personal health concerns.
Sign up to receive regular herbal womb wisdom-filled love notes and podcast updates straight to your email box.
You can always unsubscribe if you're not into it. Your privacy is paramount. I'll never share your info with anyone. Pinky swear.