How PMDD may be at the root of your symptoms
with integrative menstrual health coach Jes (Her Mood Mentor)
So many of us are told it's "normal" to feel depressed, anxious or irritable premenstrually.
As if we should just accept it and move on.
And even when the symptoms are significant, maybe even debilitating, we're told to either just push through them or to medicate them away.
But the thing is, there are some people who experience symptoms that are far beyond the weepiness, mood swings and bloating for a few days that PMS brings.
And most of us have no idea it even exists.
It's called PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder).
And it can be so debilitating that people can feel totally incapacitated for the entire second half of their cycle, and it can lead to depression so significant that it's hard to do daily tasks, show up for relationships, get to work, or even get out of bed.
We're talking PMS on steroids. For weeks.
And then as if by magic, it all disappears around menstruation.
Today's guest, Jes (from Her Mood Mentor) shares all about her personal embodied experience of 17 years with PMDD and the integrative approach she developed to help herself and others find ease and comfort in their bodies and cycles after years of suffering.
Listen to the episode to learn:
- what the difference between PMS and PMDD is
- how PMDD impacted Jes' relationships, jobs, school, etc
- examples of how PMDD can look in different people's lives
- why conventional treatments often don't help those with PMDD
- the difference between symptom relief and root cause approaches
- why a multi-faceted approach is best (+ what might be included in that)
- some of Jes' favorite herbs to support folks with PMDD
- Episode 4: Herbal spotlight on tulsi/holy basil
- Episode 11: Herbal spotlight on dandelion
- Episode 17: How stress messes with your hormones
- Episode 22: Herbal spotlight on nettles
- Episode 30: 5 herbal pillars for vibrant hormonal health
- Episode 38: Your cycle is a vital sign
And if you want to learn more from or work with Jes, check out the links below!
DISCLAIMER: This podcast and blog is for educational purposes only, I am not providing any medical advice, I am not a medical practitioner, I’m an herbalist and in the US, there is no path to licensure for herbalists, so my role is as an herbal educator. Please do your own research and consult your healthcare provider for any personal health concerns.
Sign up to receive regular herbal womb wisdom-filled love notes and podcast updates straight to your email box.
You can always unsubscribe if you're not into it. Your privacy is paramount. I'll never share your info with anyone. Pinky swear.